Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Christian?

I stopped calling myself a Christian some time ago, not because my beliefs about God and Jesus changed, but because I did not want to be associated with the majority of so-called 'Christian' religions as they currently exist. You see, as I understand it, to be Christian is to strive to be Christ-like. I have been to a lot of churches in my lifetime, and I have yet to encounter one which consistently demonstrates or fosters Christ-like behavior.

I want to make clear that I do not think myself spiritually or intellectually superior. I have read the bible and other religious literature, I enjoy studying the histories of various religions and talking to people of similar and different faiths at every opportunity, in an effort to gain better understanding of who God is.

I think one of the biggest problems I have with organized Christian religions is that, in the interest of proselytizing, they blatantly misrepresent God. Prospective 'new' Christians are led to believe that, once they join the club, they will be miraculously freed from all pain and suffering, they will instantly be able to hear God's voice, and everything will be sunshine and roses. There are even some organizations that make every effort to convince you that your financial prosperity is contingent upon your inclusion in their ranks.

So you sign up, and wait expectantly for God to show up and start fixing everything from your bank account to your halitosis. And guess what? You get disappointed. And you get confused. And you get angry. And because you were so certain that you were buying into an organization that represented God, you feel it is God himself who has deceived you.

It is among my dearest hopes that anyone seeking to know God should, at first, stay away from organized religion in any form. Always remember that organized religion is a business, with a material interest in increasing its tithe-paying membership. If you have come as far as to believe that God exists, and that He made you, remember that he gave you the gifts of a brain and free will. Think and reflect, study the religious literature that appeals to your sensibilities, meditate and pray, talk to people you know and trust, whose opinions and intellect you admire. Know that not all churches are bad, and that not all those who call themselves by the same name adhere to the same principles. Pray for the ability to discern where (or whether) you need to belong.

If you choose Christianity, study the bible with emphasis on the words of Christ Himself. You will find yourself introduced to a much more accurate description of the mind and nature of God. Nowhere does He suggest that you should expect God to act as your personal genie, regardless of what any church representative might try to get you to believe. "He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust."

No comments:

Post a Comment