Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Beast

(Author's note: Today is my birthday - nevermind which one - and to mark the occassion I would like to share with you a poem I wrote when I was in my early twenties. I do not claim to be a poet, I just feel this piece is worthy to share. I hope you agree.)


Faster now, the Beast approaches,
never ceasing, never changing.
Dark, the shadow that encroaches,
ever larger, wider ranging.
I dare not turn to see the danger,
lest my foot slip, and I stumble.
My heart's eye can see the stranger,
I can hear it growl and grumble.
"Let me be!" I call behind me,
begging, pleading for reprieve.
Howling answers to remind me
that no pardon I'll receive.
Closer now, and I can feel it
breathing, hot upon my nape.
Reaching for my life, to steal it,
while I vainly seek escape.
"Speak my name" the Beast is urging
in that dark and dreadful voice.
I can feel it's anger surging,
yet I contemplate the choice.
Part of me would stop, submitting,
to have peace at last, and rest.
Even reaching out, permitting
it to pull me to it's breast.
What consequence I might endure
on giving up this manic race,
I can't be altogether sure,
except I stop the frightful chase.
I will stop, I am decided.
I am through, the Beast has won,
though the fear that has resided
in me cries to carry on.
Stopping, turning, fear receding
as it reaches to receive me.
Now the 'Beast' more gently pleading,
seems to offer to relieve me.
"Speak my name" it whispers over,
looking softly down at me.
And I say it, like a lover -
"Responsibility".

1 comment: