Thursday, August 12, 2010

um, excuse me, is anyone listening?

I don't really 'surf' the web (do they still call it that?). What I do would be more akin to paddling around in the shallows. I may wade in a little deeper from time to time, but I usually end up running headlong into some hideous web-monster that leaves me wishing I had stayed ashore, blissfully ignorant of what's out there.

According to internetworldstats.com, 28.7% of the world's population currently has web access. That's almost two billion people who are or could be online at any given time. Understand that this is an information portal, folks. A means of instant communication. With nearly two billion minds able to receive and disseminate information instantaneously, how is it that I keep getting bombarded with crap? Oh, and thanks to the magic that is spam, I don't even have to go looking to find the crap, it finds me!

Imagine having to reproduce, on paper, all the so-called 'information' being dispensed on the internet. Or, worse yet, imagine having all that digital 'noise' vocalized! Have you ever tried to concentrate in a classroom where everyone else was talking? And based on the abundance of poor grammar and misinformation, it seems that everyone is talking, all at once, so nobody's listening.

I know that there is a wealth of good, useful information to be had out there, and I will now and then find some of it. I just think I'd be much more inclined to dive a little deeper in search of the treasure, if I occassionally found something noteworthy near the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment