Sunday, July 31, 2011

Some Things That Annoy Me (in no particular order)

1) People who speak kindly and respectfully to everyone except their own children. This is not just a minor annoyance, this is a real problem in our society that needs to be addressed. Think about how many television sitcoms revolve around the 'humor' of family members trading hurtful, cutting remarks. I do not wonder that so many people can be so full of hate and vitriol, when we are constantly exposed to it.

2) People who engage in speaking and writing, but won't be bothered to learn proper spelling, grammar, punctuation or pronunciation. If you feel that what you're saying is worth sharing, put some effort into it. Language is a vital tool, and like any other tool, must be mastered and used properly in order to be effective. You would want me to tell you if you were holding the wrong end of the knife, wouldn't you?

3) People who behave in a manner that perpetuates any negative stereotypes regarding their particular gender, race, age or other demographic group. Women, I implore you, please do not attempt to drive while applying makeup or fixing your hair. Men, please do not assume your membership in the 'guy club' will be revoked if you wash a dish or shed a tear. More importantly, young black men, understand that, while it may be easy for you to develop a 'thug / gangster' reputation where you live, you will have access to so much more power and authority if you refuse to be cast in that old, worn-out mold. Break out of that rut and challenge yourself to see that, individually and collectively, you have the power to affect real change and progress in your community and in the world.

4) People who are physically less healthy than I am, but insist on giving me health advice because I'm fat. I know I'm fat (not reality-show fat, but still...), and if/when I want to do something about it, I will. Do you know that your diet soda is toxic, that your low-fat microwave meals are killing you, and that your medical expenses probably add up to more than my yearly salary?

I could go on, but I have things to do today. Here's hoping we all have a productive, annoyance-free day!

No comments:

Post a Comment