Monday, August 15, 2011

Did I mention I Live In Tennessee?

My ninth grade American Civics teacher was insane. I mean literally. He would spend the better part of the class period some days carrying on a lively discussion with himself or the nearest light fixture, whichever struck his fancy. Years later I read where he killed himself. So I mean all the way crazy. But even that guy could have figured out what's wrong with this - http://www.liberty.edu/media/9980/attachments/hres_107_tn_10_command_051911.pdf

Before I go any further, please let me make clear that I believe in God, Jesus, and the ten commandments. I also believe that it was God's will from the creation of man that we should have free will. I firmly believe that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are God-given rights that should belong to one and all. I believe it is not for any individual or group to judge the moral and spiritual correctness of any individual or group. And I most heartily believe that what I believe, what you believe, what anyone believes, cannot and must not inform the decisions of our courts of law.

I do not believe that a group of student athletes choosing to have a prayer before a game violates the concept of keeping church and state separate. I do not believe keeping 'under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance violates that concept. But to prominently display scripture taken directly from the religious literature of a specific religion, in a place where people are summoned under the law, or where they go to seek justice...I think it is a blatant disregard for the US Constitution and the word of God.

I'm sure many churches in this area are celebrating this as a 'victory'. I'm praying for those folks to see it for what it really is.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evidently all those people who would sign that into law, has no study done in history or in the very Bible they are supposedly espousing!

    I mean if they cannot understand that Saturday is the day of sabbath, they are operating out of ignorance or stupidity.

    I have to say that the latter is the case as for them to dictate that this monument must necessarily be posted for all to see. Actually the commandments should be posted on their very backs of the judges and lawyers that have screwed up the 'justice' system!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I see it, there are a number of reasons these commandments should not be posted in the government buildings. First, they are taken directly from the 'christian' bible, which constitutes government promotion of a specific religion, which is a direct violation of the constitution. Second, they dictate moral codes which, as far as I can tell, are not uniformly espoused by any group or individual. 'Thou shall have no other gods....'. Our founding documents were crafted to ensure the freedom to have 'other gods'. 'Thou shall not kill...'. This country was taken by force, which included the slaughter of many of the indigenous people, and from the start this government has taken liberties with the lives of its citizens. I could go on. Third, the public posting of these commandments is pointless, unless our 'leaders' live by them as an example to all. Lying, cheating and stealing are so common among our so-called leaders that we're totally desensitized to these behaviors. And again, I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete